Sat, 28 Oct|
CYA: Radio astronomy and listening for aliens
We can all understand how optical telescopes work, but what about radio telescopes? How can you "see" radio waves. This week we'll find out.
Time & Location
28 Oct, 10:00 – 12:00
IoA, Madingley Rd, Cambridge CB3 0HA, UK
About The Event
Cambridge has a strong link to the development and use of radio astronomy. This week we're going to look at:
- Radio waves - the first detections
- The Lord's Bridge Observatory - just to the West of Cambridge
- Interferometers - analysing the signals
- The discovery of pulsars using radio telescopes
- Signals from (and to) aliens - is there anybody out there?
As usual, once we've finished the talks and our juice and biscuits we'll be constructing more astronomical models